12 noon, 7 June
It’s that time of year again – when the stage is set for the Regent to throw open the theatre doors for its biggest fundraising event of the year! From midday on Friday 7th June until midday Saturday 8th June, tens of thousands of books – over half of them just $1 – will be on sale for book lovers and bargain hunters everywhere. We are proud to play host to this much anticipated iconic event; reputedly the largest book sale in the Southern Hemisphere!
You are invited to come along – more than once even – as books in your favourite categories are replenished regularly throughout the sale by our ever energetic volunteers, and live music will be featured throughout to provide additional enjoyment. You will find books for all tastes: from thrillers to humour to child-rearing. If there’s a topic, we will have a book on it.
If you like the excitement of the crowds and the countdown, come along at the start as there is always a big crush for the first few hours. If you like the quiet and are a night owl remember that new books are constantly being brought out so no need to panic. However, if you want dollar-priced Sci Fi, Westerns or Art books, come early as these always sell out fast!
If all the books on the stage weren’t enough, you are encouraged to find your way downstairs under the stage where you’ll find the nearly new fiction and non fiction books together with text books, and antiquarian and collectable volumes.
A big part of the event is the wide range of live music performed throughout the sale. Even if books aren’t your thing, the organisers welcome you to come and have a closer than normal look at the beautiful theatre whilst enjoying the free entertainment?
We can only accept cash at the tills but there will be eftpos available to withdraw cash onsite. Tell everyone you know to come along and join in this unique institution.
Our bars have a selection of New Zealand wines and beers as well as juices, water, light snacks and ice creams. The bars will be closed five minutes before the show’s published start time.
We pride ourselves on being one of the most accessible venues in the city. We have flat access through our main doors and staff are more than happy to help with the doors if needed. Taxis can drop off and pick up patrons from outside these doors and we can order a taxi for you after the show.
There are accessible toilets on the lower level and a roomy lift provides access both to these facilities and to the Stalls seating. Seats in the Circle are accessed via several flights of stairs so we recommend patrons with mobility difficulties book seats in the Stalls.
We have seven dedicated wheelchair spaces and our events are available via an augmented hearing assistance system.
We also have opera glasses available for hire for $5 at the Box Office – just ask when you come in.
We encourage our patrons to discuss their needs with us so we can ensure they enjoy the show.
People come to the Regent Theatre to have a great night out. So everyone has a good time, we ask all our patrons to be courteous to those around them.
- Please turn off all your electronic devices before you come into the auditorium.
- If you have taken snacks from our bar back to your seat, try not to rustle when the house lights go down.
- If you are late to a show, get comfortable in our bar area until we can turn the house lights back on so you can find your seat.
- Camera flashes occasionally make performers stumble – over their lines or their feet – so we prefer that you don’t use flash (or any other) photography.
- Please keep your feet on the floor – someone counting the beat on the back of your seat can be distracting.
- Dancing in the aisles sounds like fun but it might make our Circle collapse. If you really need to dance (and it’s the right sort of show), please book seats in the Stalls or make your way out to the foyer.
- We encourage you to introduce your children to the arts, but please also teach them to watch and listen quietly and peacefully.