A crossroads, between imagination and reality, between individuality and community, between limits and possibilities … Driven by the poetic impulse of life, the physical prowess of the circus and the humour, at once serious and light-hearted …
Cirkopolis by Montreal-based Cirque Eloize, combines the worlds of circus, dance and theatre. In the heart of a stern and imposing city, giant gears and dark portals symbolize a mechanism that crushes individuality. Twelve performing artists rebel against monotony, reinvent themselves and challenge the limits of the factory-city. In a world where fantasy provokes reality, the veil of anonymity and solitude is lifted and replaced by bursts of colour.
Entering Cirkopolis is all about letting go and allowing yourself to be borne aloft by hope.
“Eloize’s magicians use all the traditional ingredients to plunge the audience into a dreamlike universe where beauty blends with graphic whirls in a totally surrealistic setting.”
Sud-Ouest, La Rochelle, France
” … traces of Chaplinesque slapstick, raw Olympian power, sexual politics, the intellectual challenge of contemporary dance, the whimsy of a Michel Gondry film and a dash of Wolverine.”
Sydney Morning Herald, Sydney
On sale Wednesday 23rd August – unless you’re on our mailing list! Sign up now to get access to a presale code available from 9th -16th August.
**IMPORTANT NOTE **
Tickets to Cirkopolis by Cirque Éloize, at the Regent Theatre, must be purchased from our official ticketing partner TicketDirect or at the Regent Box Office to ensure your tickets are valid. Any tickets purchased through a third party or unauthorised seller may result in your tickets being void, restricting your eventual access into the event.
Our bars have a selection of New Zealand wines and beers as well as juices, water, light snacks and ice creams. The bars will be closed five minutes before the show’s published start time.
We pride ourselves on being one of the most accessible venues in the city. We have flat access through our main doors and staff are more than happy to help with the doors if needed. Taxis can drop off and pick up patrons from outside these doors and we can order a taxi for you after the show.
There are accessible toilets on the lower level and a roomy lift provides access both to these facilities and to the Stalls seating. Seats in the Circle are accessed via several flights of stairs so we recommend patrons with mobility difficulties book seats in the Stalls.
We have seven dedicated wheelchair spaces and our events are available via an augmented hearing assistance system.
We also have opera glasses available for hire for $5 at the Box Office – just ask when you come in.
We encourage our patrons to discuss their needs with us so we can ensure they enjoy the show.
People come to the Regent Theatre to have a great night out. So everyone has a good time, we ask all our patrons to be courteous to those around them.
- Please turn off all your electronic devices before you come into the auditorium.
- If you have taken snacks from our bar back to your seat, try not to rustle when the house lights go down.
- If you are late to a show, get comfortable in our bar area until we can turn the house lights back on so you can find your seat.
- Camera flashes occasionally make performers stumble – over their lines or their feet – so we prefer that you don’t use flash (or any other) photography.
- Please keep your feet on the floor – someone counting the beat on the back of your seat can be distracting.
- Dancing in the aisles sounds like fun but it might make our Circle collapse. If you really need to dance (and it’s the right sort of show), please book seats in the Stalls or make your way out to the foyer.
- We encourage you to introduce your children to the arts, but please also teach them to watch and listen quietly and peacefully.